Under the general direction of the Parks Manager and Park Planning Manager, performs a variety of technical duties related to the development or creation of digital maps for the City of St. George and departments through a GIS using ArcMap, AutoCAD, ArcGIS Pro, Access, Google Suite and other related computer applications.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Executes Cityworks software to help track labor, material, and equipment cost of projects
2. Inputs new data into the Cityworks Software system including employee information, equipment inventory, park and facility assets, and tree inventory,
3. Develops Cityworks “Store Room” inventory control system for parks and facilities.
4. Maps out daily routine Cityworks recurring work orders.
5. Creates new map layers for specific features such as backflows, valves, trees, etc.
6. Trains staff to use the Cityworks software for their daily work records.
7. Develops reports that will help track cost of projects using Crystal Reports and Google Sheets.
8. Compiles, digitizes, or enters a variety of GIS data, including existing and new additions to n boundaries, property locations, utility, public works, engineering, parks, planning, and facilities management information from various sources such as plat maps, tables, and computer disks.
9. Establishes, inputs, and maintains spatial data and associated attributes and metadata for a large variety of information related to City land records and utility infrastructure. Establishes database tables and maintains database as additions and removals are required.
10. Enters drawings of record information into City GIS using ArcGIS Pro and AutoCAD. Tracks the submittal and entry of update information from City staff and crews to ensure information is entered correctly and in a timely manner.
11. Performs GIS system and file backup dealing with City systems such as irrigation lines valves, trees, parks, Rights of Ways, park and facility assets.
12. Produces maps and data tables as needed. Conducts research and performs special project assignments.
13. Provides technical assistance to staff, committees, and the public to provide information concerning available resources such as maps, Cityworks training, and database reports from the GIS system and Cityworks software.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Office environment and field work performing GIS location of assets. Intermittent sitting, standing, bending, stooping, etc. and exposure to desert climate. May be required to lift or carry light to medium weights.
Education: Two (2) years of college coursework in AutoCAD, ArcMap, or GIS systems.
Experience: Two (2) years of responsible experience performing similar duties listed for this position or related duties. Related post-high school training in computer science, GIS applications, etc. or an equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis. Experience regarding Cityworks computer databases and Crystal Reports spreadsheet applications preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications: Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Windows operating systems, ArcMap, ArcView, AutoCAD, Access, Google Sheets, and Cityworks computer software preferred.
• Prepare statistical reports and graphs using Google Sheets and Crystal Reports software programs; maintain database and hard copy records; and prepare written reports on City operations, activities, and facilities using Crystal Reports.
• Make independent decisions regarding compliance with City and departmental objectives and procedures.
• Maintain effective working relations with those contacted in scope of work.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at jobs.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position closes 03/19/18 at 5:00 p.m. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.