Under the general supervision of a City of St. George Crossing Guard Supervisor, prepares crossing zone and assists children in crossing streets safely on a seasonal basis while children attend school. This position has minimal daily hours which are split up during the day to coincide with the starting, noon time and ending of school and requires flexibility with work scheduling to allow for the crossing guard to work two or three separate times during the day.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Prepares school crossing zone two to three times a day when children are traveling to and from school by turning on flashing lights for the school crosswalks and placing warning cones in the street.
2. Takes children, as they arrive, safely across the street, watching traffic closely and stopping cars if necessary.
3. Removes cones from street and turns off the flashing lights once children are finished crossing.
4. Acts as a liaison between children, parents, school administrators, and the PTA.
5. Participates in special events as asked by school administrators, PTA, and/or the supervisor.
6. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Regular and prompt attendance is essential. Mental effort is required daily. Job is performed outside and is subject to exposure to the elements, such as heat, cold, and wet conditions. Job involves walking and standing for long periods of time. Constant seeing and hearing are required to fulfill job responsibilities. Subject to exposure to environmental and/or physical hazards. Must have mobility so as to intervene in situations that present danger to children or self.
Note: Work hours for this position are dependent on school schedules. Please see School Crosswalk Guard Schedule above for further information.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Any related experience is helpful but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Current Utah traffic laws and emergency procedures.
• Correct use of the English language.
• Moderate responsibility for the care, condition, and use of materials, equipment, and tools.
• Great responsibility in the use of discretion and independent judgment for the safe crossing of children.
• Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, using proper grammar and spelling.
• Follow written and verbal instructions.
• Work effectively with children, parents, and school employees.
• Use accurate judgment of traffic flow, speed, and direction of travel.
• Prioritize activities.
• Regularly use hand-held stop sign, reflector vest, cones, and 20 MPH flashing lights.
• Quickly intervene if necessary to prevent harm to self or children if dangerous conditions present themselves.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at jobs.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position is open until closed. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.