Under the direction of the City of St. George Recreation Coordinator, leads basic event day areas that require limited pre-event preparation. Reports to and works with the Races and Special Events Coordinator and Recreation Specialists in developing the programs, and event day plans.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Assists in running races and events by taking charge of a specific area.
2. Helps recruit, train, and organize volunteers into teams to assist in putting on the race or event.
3. Assists in preparing for races and events for a few weeks prior to the event.
4. Coordinates with sponsors and helps to create new partnerships.
5. Oversees the proper use and inventory of supplies. Makes requests for purchases of supplies needed for upcoming races and special events through the Recreation Coordinator.
6. Accounts for funds received through sales revenue.
7. Follows City policies and procedures on proper money handling at race events.
8. Staffs information and advertising booths at expos as assigned.
9. Reports all progress to the Races and Special Events Coordinator.
10. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Conditions vary depending on the assignment. May work in both indoor and outdoor recreation facilities in varied temperatures. Requires the use of vision and/or hearing to identify and evaluate emergencies, and must be able to respond physically to these emergencies quickly and appropriately. Moderately heavy physical activity exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Moderate exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Must be available to work weekends to help prepare for races and events. Must be available to work ALL weekend races and special events including long hours during event weeks and short variable hours during the off season. This position has limited or no hours during weeks with no special events.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Recreation administrative background preferred.
Previous race-directing experience or competitive experiences are a plus OR any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Recognized achievement in school, other employment, or civic involvement preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications must be obtained within six (6) months of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Must possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• The St. George community and understanding of the vision and direction of our races and special events.
• Races, the running community, and other special events.
• Human behavior as applied to various groups participating in recreational activities.
• Leadership principles.
• Skills in working with people of all ages, including volunteers, on a continuing basis with the ability to maintain positive working relationships with everyone.
• Interpersonal and communication skills.
• Plan, organize, direct and evaluate the activities and personnel involved in races and special event programs.
• Work ALL weekend races and special events including long hours during event weeks and short variable hours during the off season. This is a part-time position with variable hours. Hours increase from fall until spring with very limited hours during the summer.
• Plan and exercise judgment in new or constantly changing problems and situations.
• Formulate decisions and advise the Recreation Coordinator on matters pertaining to the programs.
• Establish good community relations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, civic organizations, and the public.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at jobs.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position closes 12/11/17 at 5:00 p.m. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.