Responsible for the timely review and payment of all vouchers submitted to the Administrative Services / Finance Department for payment of goods or services provided to the City of St. George.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Operates computer to input payments and to run accounting reports such as payable register, purchase order register, etc.
2. Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment. Verifies proper credit of previously paid remittance.
3. Interacts closely with purchasing staff in contacting and following-up with departments for missing documentation, cost coding, or proper approval signatures before inputting into payment system.
4. Ensures that regularly occurring invoices, such as phone bills, travel, insurance bills, allowances, etc., are paid as scheduled according to department procedures.
5. Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies.
6. Reviews initial reports for accuracy, and find and correct input errors to balance reports prior to printing checks.
7. Matches invoices to check vouchers for accuracy and proper form before submitting for approval. Disburses checks to vendors and service providers.
8. Interacts closely with purchasing staff in responding to questions from vendors and departments involving past payments, invoice corrections, etc. Works closely with payroll in payment of state and federal taxes, garnishments, special deductions for employees, workers compensation, employment security, etc.
9. Maintains files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with City policy and accepted accounting practices by fiscal year.
10. Operates standard office machines and equipment incidental to clerical work.
11. Use computer program to set up some new vendors.
12. Understands IRS regulations related to independent contractors and 1099 requirements.
13. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Office environment. Light physical effort which may include sitting or standing for extended periods while operating assigned equipment. Infrequent lifting of light weights up to 15 pounds. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required, college courses in accounting preferred
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of Accounts Payable full-time experience or equivalent experience in general office work which includes continual data entry usage and skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• City procedures governing payment of vouchers and invoices
• Basic procedures of bookkeeping and recordkeeping
• Communicate effectively with vendors and employees
• Demonstrate strong work ethics
• Be well organized and a self-starter
• Type 50 wpm
• Be discrete and maintain confidentiality
• Interact with employees and vendors in a professional manner to maintain working relationships
• Operate standard office equipment, including computer terminals, 10-key by touch, typewriter, photocopier, etc.
• Understand and follow oral and written instruction
• Work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
• Perform mathematical computations such as percentages, fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division quickly and accurately
• Demonstrate proficiency in Excel and Word
• Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills, documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis skills, multi-tasking skills, and knowledge of basic accounting principles
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at jobs.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position closes 12/11/17 at 5:00 p.m. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.