Under the direction of the Recreation Coordinator, assists in the implementation of youth programs for the City of St. George including various summer programs, day camps, youth sport related activities, and special events.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Assists in implementing daily program activities.
2. Assists with preparation of activities including guest speakers and off-site excursions.
3. Supervises children ages 3 to 16 years old before and during hours of program operation.
4. Leads children in educational games and hands-on learning experiences.
5. Supervises children during off-site field trips.
6. Completes daily reports and maintains accurate participation records.
7. Oversees the proper use, safety, and security of all supplies, and makes requests to the Site Coordinator or/and Recreation Coordinator for purchase of equipment needed.
8. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Light to moderate physical activity. Lifting and carrying up to 30 pounds for camp equipment. Intermittent sitting, standing, and walking. Exposure to weather conditions. Moderate exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Minimum 16 years of age.
Preference will be given to individuals with coursework in childhood development, elementary education or a related field or degree in related field.
Experience working with children highly preferred.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications must be obtained within sixty (60) days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Reliability is a must.
• Must be highly motivated and enthusiastic.
• Communicate in a professional manner with children, parents, staff and other management.
• Assess and solve problems associated with elementary and intermediate aged-children.
• Plan and exercise judgment in new or constantly changing problems and situations.
• Flexible and demonstrates a passion to work with children in a learning environment.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
• Attend off-site meetings, training and events.
• Must be able to be on site during program hours of approximately 2:00-6:00 pm (varies due to site). Days of the week vary per site; (site A) M-F 3:00-6:00 pm; (sites B & C) T/TH 2:00-5:00 pm.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at jobs.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position is open until closed. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.