Under the supervision or direction of the Technical Theater Coordinator, provides lighting design, sound system coordination, and event set-up for operations and activities of the Electric Theater Center, Community Arts Division and other City-related special events and programs; and performs related duties as required.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class).
1. Assists with programming sound equipment, lighting equipment, and other technical systems in advance of performances and productions; troubleshoots and resolves problems with production equipment.
2. Assists production staff with sets, props, costumes, equipment, and installation/set-up in advance of performances, productions or presentations.
3. Assists with monitoring the condition of equipment, including lighting, sound and rigging equipment; notifies supervisor of the need to repair and replace equipment.
4. Utilizes proper safety practices and procedures.
5. Communicates with performers and technical staff and renders assistance as requested and approved by supervisor.
6. Attends staff meetings as requested.
7. Represents the City to public and responds to public requests and questions.
8. Responds to complaints or questions regarding technical operations and takes appropriate action to resolve problems.
9. Assures that the facility or area is clean and ready for the event or production.
10. Assists with production of Concert in the Park, Sunset on the Square, St. George Art Festival, St. George Marathon, Leisure EEEE’s and other City sponsored special events.
11. Supports programs and exhibitis at City facilities as needed.
12. Perform related duties as assigned.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions
Physical activity: Exerts up to 80 lbs of force occasionally, and/or up to 40 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects - motion involved with setting up/taking down of sound and lighting equipment and at times, chairs and tables. On occasion may lift weights up to 80 lbs. to approximately waist height. Risk of bodily injury is light under normal conditions. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Any combination of training, education and experience that would have provided the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be:
Two years of closely related experience in the principles of sound engineering, sound board operation, principles of lighting design and programming and theatrical lighting operations.
Licensure/Certification: Possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· General customer service skills.
· All forms of performing arts.
· Stage operations including lighting and sound design.
· Methods, materials, equipment, practices and procedures involved in theater technical operations.
· Hazards and safety principles involved in theater technical operations.
· Personal computers and computer software programs used by the City.
· Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays as required.
· Apply and interpret policies and procedures related to technical operations, Division equipment and venues.
· Establish and maintain effective relationships with the public and other City employees.
· Exercise tact and deal effectively with representatives from other City departments and the public.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application online at jobs.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position closes 10/15/2017 at 5:00 p.m. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background screen are required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.