Under the supervision of the Aquatics Manager, ensures patron safety and the protection of lives and conducts swimming instruction using the American Red Cross Learn to swim program at the City of St. George swimming facilities.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Follows and teaches according to the pre-written block lesson plans. Creativity and different styles of teaching are permitted and encouraged as long as the plan is followed and appropriate skills are taught.
2. Starts and ends classes according to established schedules which require instructors to be available 15 minutes prior to scheduled class.
3. Ensures that all equipment is out and ready prior to class start
4. Provides parents with updates regarding child’s progress.
5. Instructs all lessons with safety first and student’s self esteem as a foremost concern.
6. Maintains accurate records of attendance and skill accomplishment completed after every class
7. Completes certificates prior to final session of each class.
8. Prevents injuries by minimizing or eliminating hazardous situations or behaviors.
9. Enforces facility rules and regulations.
10. Recognizes and responds quickly and effectively to all emergencies.
11. Administers first aid and CPR using an AED.
12. Informs other life guards, facility staff, and management when more help or equipment is needed.
13. Completes required records and reports as required.
14. Performs maintenance and other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
15. Inspects facility daily and reports any unsafe conditions or equipment to supervisor.
Note: Individuals in this position must wear suitable teaching attire which for females mandates a one piece suit and suitable swimming trunks for males.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
• Life Guard and Water Safety Instructor certification through the American Red Cross.
• Professional CPR/AED and First Aid certifications through the American Red Cross.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Highly motivated.
• Customer service oriented and excellent public relations skills.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application on-line at jobs.sgcity.org. Position closes 6/5/2017 at 5:00 p.m. or until filled, whichever occurs first. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Refer questions to HR at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background check is required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.