Under the direct supervision of the Building Custodial Supervisor, performs a full range of regular and recurring custodial duties in City of St. George buildings.
Essential Functions (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Performs general custodial responsibilities in City buildings based on needs of the building, including, but not limited to: cleans, sanitizes, and deodorizes rest rooms, including fixtures, toilets, sinks, and urinals; replenishes supplies in restrooms; sweeps, vacuums, mops, waxes, strips, and polishes floors; vacuums and shampoos carpet using manual and power equipment; empties, cleans, and disinfects waste cans and other trash receptacles; dusts and cleans woodwork, walls, and windows using common cleaning equipment and products; sweeps sidewalks and entrances; cleans and dusts furniture; and replaces light bulbs.
2. Moves and arranges office and building furniture and equipment.
3. Keeps equipment and supplies in order and requests re-supply when needed from the City Building Custodial Supervisor.
4. Assists in maintaining security of the City buildings by locking and unlocking the building according to pre-scheduled event roster, and completes regular security checks of facilities.
5. Assists in the setup/takedown for scheduled functions at City Hall, i.e., set up chairs, tables, etc.
6. Identifies and reports safety hazards.
7. Performs related duties as required.
Moderately heavy physical activity exerting 25-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Physical demands include climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, and feeling. Exposure to conditions such as fumes, noxious odors, dusts, mists, gases, and poor ventilation. Exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals. Intermittent exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: Individuals in this position must be able to work Monday through Friday from 9:00 p.m. to Midnight. Preference will be given to candidates with basic experience on carpet cleaning (extraction), tile and grout cleaning and basic use of floor care tools. Preference will be given to individuals with a valid Utah Driver License.
Experience: Entry level. No experience or high school diploma required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Methods, materials, and equipment used in building custodial work.
• Safe work practices.
• Performing various cleaning, disinfecting, and maintenance activities.
• Clean and maintain assigned areas and equipment.
• Read and interpret labels on chemicals and supplies.
• Operate, use, and care for a variety of building maintenance equipment, including sweepers, wet and dry vacuum cleaners, mop wringers, brooms, mops, waxes, and other cleaning materials and equipment.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and those contacted in the scope of work.
• Perform indoor and outdoor manual labor.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Work independently in the absence of supervision.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application on-line at jobs.sgcity.org. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Position closes 3/30/2017 at 5:00 p.m. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background check is required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.