PLEASE NOTE: This job posting will establish a hiring roster that will be used until exhausted or until 3/31/17, whichever comes first.
Position Summary: Provides specialized care for the parks, right-of-ways, building grounds, cemeteries, and/or sports fields for the City of St. George.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Irrigates, mows, and plants lawns with power or hand equipment; plants and prunes trees and bushes; and sprays and cultivates shrubs, trees, turf, and flowers.
2. Repairs broken water lines or valves. Replaces and/or installs pipes, heads, valves, pumps, and time clocks as necessary to maintain watering system.
3. Applies fertilizer, pesticides, and insecticides to lawns, trees, and shrubs as directed.
4. Performs preventative maintenance and checks on power equipment.
5. Patrols assigned areas, and facilities performing maintenance and repairs to assure proper functioning of equipment.
6. Maintains, cleans, repairs, and paints pavilions, playgrounds, restrooms, picnic tables, barbeques, and other park features.
7. Operates tractors, backhoes, hydraulic triplex green and tee mowers, gang mowers, rotary mowers, and other power equipment incidental to job.
8. Periodically performs minor construction, remodel, and repair of various structures and facilities including carpentry and concrete work.
9. Performs preventative maintenance and checks on power equipment used.
10. If assigned to cemetery assists Cemetery Maintenance Worker in excavating burial sites and performing specialized maintenance involving raising and leveling headstones and graves.
11. Assists with set up and take down for special events, such as the St. George Marathon.
12. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/ Working Conditions: Outdoor work with exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather. Moderate physical activity exerting up to 20-50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently. Uncomfortable working positions such as stooping, crouching, and bending. Exposure to elements such as heat, cold, dampness, fumes, noise, dust, or grease. Risk of bodily injury is moderate under normal conditions. May have disagreeable elements such as appearance of work place, poor ventilation, or uneven temperatures. Occupational safety and health hazards may be encountered under controlled conditions. Some exposure to hazardous materials such as fumes, pesticides, cleaning agents, etc. and to high levels of noise. Exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.
Note: May require working extended or irregular hours including nights and holidays. Ability to work weekends a must. Hours limited to an average of 28 hours per week.
Licenses and/or Certifications: Possess a valid driver license. A valid Utah Driver License must be obtained within 60 days of hire and be maintained throughout employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Tools, equipment, and techniques used in maintenance, repair, and/or construction of buildings, landscapes, irrigation systems, and hardscapes which may include basic construction projects.
• Working knowledge of computerized warehouse operations, including ordering, receiving, handling, and distributing materials and equipment.
• Understanding of basic procurement procedures and regulations, and understanding of procedures for material handling, inventory control, and recordkeeping.
• Working knowledge of basic English composition, spelling, and grammar.
• Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions relating to equipment operation and the loading and unloading of materials.
• Standard safety precautions.
• Heavy equipment, i.e., backhoe, experience preferred.
• Concrete experience preferred.
• Small engine (gas and electric) repair preferred.
• Performing routine building and landscape maintenance.
• Determining the kinds of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
• Concrete finishing (preferred).
• Operation of a variety of hand tools and equipment common to the building trades.
• Work with minimum supervision; understand and follow general work instructions.
• Maintain inventory storage areas in clean and organized manner.
• Perform outdoor manual labor for extended periods of time.
• Operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application on-line at jobs.sgcity.org. Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Human Resources at 435-627-4670. Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background check is required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.