Under the direction of the Fire Chief and/or Deputy Fire Chief, performs a wide variety of skilled fire protection functions for the City of St. George, including, but not limited to, combating, extinguishing, and preventing fires.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills, and other characteristics. The list of tasks is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.)
1. Responds to emergency incidents.
2. Fights fires by laying hose lines; assists in directing streams of water utilizing nozzles, ladders, and miscellaneous equipment; connects hoses to water systems; and assists in ventilating buildings.
3. Provides emergency medical care, performs extrications when necessary, and performs forcible entry into burning buildings.
4. Prepares diagrams or sketches of buildings to record the locations of items of concern during pre-fire planning operations. Assists in pre-fire planning and development of property maps and sketches.
5. May investigate, compile, and prepare required information and evidence to determine point of origin and cause of fire.
6. Inspects and maintains breathing apparatus.
7. Opens and closes fire sprinkler system valves.
8. Participates in various drills, training sessions, and Monday night fire drills. Must attend a minimum number of training sessions as a condition of employment.
9. Maintains fire stations and fire apparatus, including testing, washing, and hanging fire hose and repairing or assisting in the repair of hose couplings and other equipment.
10. Provides attendant services such as giving information, advice, directions, and general assistance to the public when necessary.
11. Conducts educational programs, tours and demonstrations at fire stations and public locations, i.e, schools, fairs, business.
12. Drives and operates all fire apparatus in both emergency and non-emergency situations.
13. Complies and records fire and EMS reports on database.
14. Performs other related duties as required.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands/Working Conditions: Moderately heavy physical work. Required to lift or carry 50 pounds on a regular basis. Continuous standing or walking. Intense exposure to elements such as heat, cold, dampness, fumes, noise, dust, or grease. Exposure to infectious disease possible. Exposure to outside weather conditions or moderate hazards most of the time. Occupational safety and health hazards may be encountered. Intermittent exposure to stress.
Note: Persons in this position are required to be on a rotating sleep schedule.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Licenses (Must possess and maintain to retain position):
• Valid Utah Driver License.
• Will be required to graduate from the City of St. George Firefighter Academy and obtain Firefighter Level I and II, Hazardous Materials Awareness, Hazardous Materials Operations and CPR/AED certifications from the Fire Service Certification Council prior to graduation.
• Will be required to obtain additional training and certifications after graduation. Failure to do so will result in loss of position.
• Must be a minimum of 18 years of age or older.
• Must complete and pass the City of St. George Fire Department Firefighter Recruit Academy.
• Must successfully complete all entrance exams or requirements established by the City, which may include oral, written, physical, and polygraph examinations; background investigations; etc.
• Must reside within the City limits at time of application and maintain residency as a condition of employment. Will be assigned to one of seven fire stations (excluding Station 8) depending on area of residency within the City. Should a reserve firefighter move to a different area of residency within the City, continuing reserve firefighter status will be dependent upon the availability of a position in that area. There is no guarantee of continuing reserve firefighter status.
• Will be required keep pager on 24 hours a day and to be on call at all times. Must be able to leave place of employment to respond to calls.
• Must attend a minimum number of responses as a condition of employment.
• Cannot work for another emergency or fire agency (local, state or federal) without the written approval of the Fire Chief.
• Will be required to have medical testing and immunizations including, but not limited to; Tuberculosis (TB) testing, HIV testing, Tetanus, Hepatitis B Surface Antibody & Antigen HbsAg, Hepatitis C Surface Antibody, Liver Panel, Physical Exam.
• Will be required to pass a Pulmonary Function Test prior to employment.
• Must be able to pass a 7 year criminal background check. Cannot be currently on parole or probation. Any conviction will be assessed on an individual basis based on relationship to position.
• Must have far vision acuity of at least 20/40 binocular in each eye with corrective lenses. Vision correctable to 20/20 is preferred. Must have color perception-monochromatic vision adequate to ensure the ability to use imaging devices such as thermal imaging cameras. Must not have monocular vision or any eye condition that results in the inability to safely perform one or more of the essential job tasks. (NFPA 1582-07/6.4.1)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Basic firefighting techniques and suppression principles, methods, and practices.
• Purpose/use of various tools, equipment, and apparatus used in fire suppression, rescue, and medical assistance operations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Communicate effectively.
• Read and understand technical materials, rules, and regulations related to firefighting.
• Work independently; make critical decisions, and use initiative and common sense in a variety of inspection or investigative situations.
• Maintain a level of reliability that promotes an active status for the city and fire department.
To Apply: Submit a completed City of St. George Employment Application on-line at www.sgcity.org/hr; via fax to 435-627-4679; by email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or in person to Human Resources, City of St. George, 175 E. 200 N. Position is open until filled. Refer questions to Dianne at 435-627-4673 Pre-employment drug screening and criminal background check is required. EOE. We make reasonable efforts to provide reasonable accommodation to disabled candidates.
CLOSED PER DIRECTIVE FROM CHIEF STOKER 4-11-17.